Wednesday, 3 August 2011

Delta pressure test 1

Yesterday saw the Delta rocket have its first pressure test the rocket performed well up to 50 psi when booster 2  had a slight leak the problem was as the nozzle had moved upwards in the gardena connector as with this design it only takes 5-8mm of movement and the o ring comes out of its seat so i will bend the booster wire connectors to ensure less movement on the next test as i released the rocket from the launcher it seemed to all move together correctly so im hoping we should have a successful launch soon.

Monday, 1 August 2011

Tomi timer trigger

Ever since i started water rocketry i have always used tomi timers due to there reliability, size, and cost but there has always been a problem how to delay the timer while the rocket is being pressurized then finding a way of triggering the timer when the rocket is launched. I have tried using air flaps but they were never reliable and i have lost many rockets due to it not triggering the timer at launch so i came up with a new way of holding the timer i think these pictures will explain better then words.
Items i used:
1x fiberglass tube (old fishing rod)
1x small square of bottle pet
1x coat hanger or similar wire
small amount of sikaflex glue
electrical tape

Hydron 2 rocket

Over the weekend saw the completion of another rocket that i have been wanting to finish for a while its a 4.2L rocket with 2 splice pairs also with this rocket it has a jet foaming tube inspired by aircommand this tube has been epoxyed to the lower bottle it also has a side deployment recovery system this has a tomi timer delay also i have made a trigger for the timer this is the first rocket with the new design more info on my next blog update, the rocket is very light so i will try using a 7mm and 9mm nozzle with a water foam mix.

Sunday, 24 July 2011

Cross splice

While i had all the tools out from making Delta 2's splices i experimented with 2 different shape and size bottles and spliced them to create a cross splice i have not measured the capacity yet but im hoping it will be larger then 1.8L this will eventually go on the N1 rocket for tests .

Delta 2 quad splices

Work has started on the next Delta rocket in the series this rocket is made from 2L bottles and i have decided on making a quad splice and a normal splice more splices will be made over the next few weeks.

Delta 1 update

After a 2 week break from all things rockets and a busy house move this weekend saw some progress on the latest BWR boostered rocket Delta 1 theres still a few small bits to finish but we are hoping for an august launch date.
Things that have changed:
The couplers have gone back to robinson couplers due to unreliable BWR couplers
Bits to finish:
Side deployment door
booster winglets
tomi timer
launcher guide rail
final pressure test for launcher and rocket

Monday, 4 July 2011

New rocket new launcher

As family and work time has been manic recently i have not been doing much on my rockets, as i have started building a new rocket with boosters i have had to build a new launcher its still work in progress so it has had no pressure tests yet hopefully by the end of July we should have the new rocket in the sky.